What is Laborejo?
Laborejo, Esperanto for "Workshop", is used to craft music through notation.
It is a graphical user interface for Lilypond, a MIDI creator and finally a tool collection to inspire and help you compose.
You get beautifully engraved notation through Lilypond and nice ways to control the playback without ever leaving a notation-based environment.
The optimal and efficient way to accomplish all those ambitions is to separate layout and data. You give instructions to Laborejo and it will produce an output which will hopefully need little post-processing or tweaking. In the end you shouldn't have to worry about the layout, and just concentrate on the music.
Laborejos license is the GPL which means you can do whatever you want without limits, in other words it is Open Source. Install it on as many computers, use it for any purpose, no license fees or registration needed.
Feature Overview and Program HistoryThe program is currently developed by Nils Gey. Development began in June 2011 and the first release was in March 2012. Laborejo is not an intentional clone of an existing piece of software. It is not the universal one-in-all production suite. It tries to fit in and connect to the remarkable world of Open Source Audio- and Multimedia software.
Feature-Listsome of the features:
- Unlimited tracks/staffs, voices, items.
- Input via Keyboard, Mouse or MIDI
- Flexible and fast shortcut and configuring system.
- Portable, as few dependencies as possible.
- PDF generation, ready-to-print, through Lilypond.
- You don't need any knowledge of Lilypond at all to use Laborejo. But if you want you can insert and modify any Lilypond bit.
- Separation of editing and note/data entry and layout. Don't worry about the layout, just concentrate on the music.
- MIDI file generation
- Playback through JACK
- Control over performance from a global level (e.g. change how long non-legato notes or fermatas are) to detailed, technical tweaks like MIDI CC messages as score item.